Blog post #4

1. What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?

The learners would listen and respond by taking notes on things discussed in the video, reflect on how they have budgeted in the past, and think about how they could apply what they learned. The video works more on self-reflection. I would say the interaction is user-generated; it encourages learners independently to be active without the necessary intervention of a teacher.

• In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g., make notes, do an activity, or think about the topic (learner-generated)?

Students would likely think about the 50/30/20 rule in budgeting. The video requires the learners to follow 4 steps in making their budget.

1. Figure out their income.
  2. Divide the income into percentages using the 50/30/20 rule they were taught at the beginning.
  3. Prioritize their spending.
  4. Set some goals.

Students will likely simulate their budget even though they are not tested on the above

1. What activity could you suggest that they do after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?  

After watching this video, students would be required to submit their budget. This activity would give the students the experience needed to know how to develop their budget. The assignment will be posted in Google Classroom for the students and the assignment will be submitted using Google Docs through the classroom.

1. How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

Students will be given a rubric of what is expected of them, and their work will be assessed using this rubric on Google Classroom. Teacher’s comments will be left on their work after the assessment.

1. How much work for you would that activity cause? Would the work be both manageable and worthwhile? Could the activity be scaled for larger numbers of students?

Assessing the work would take some time but it would be manageable and worthwhile. For a larger number of students, the students might be put in groups and given a more difficult task that would require some interdependence on one another.

Anderson, T. (2003). Getting the mix right again: An updated and theoretical rationale for interaction. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 4(2), 1–14.

Cash Course: What Is A Budget? | Kids Shows

1. abbyashfield

Hello,

Great blog post! I really liked the video you chose! The visuals and voice were highly engaging, as well as the the questions which caught my attention. I think having students create a budget using the 50-30-20 rule is a great idea. This rule is probably new to them, as it was for me, so giving them the chance to apply it will help them comprehend and remember it. I was curious, would you get students to use their own budget or would you give them one? This may vary depending on the age of your targetted audience, but I think it could also be a privacy issue, if they are posting this in a shared space. What do you think?

• temilola

Thank you Abby. Learners wont be having access to each other’s work so their privacy is protected unless this is replicated in a larger class where the students have to be grouped. In such situations, the instructor may give them a case study to discuss.

2. zimingdong

Hi!
    I watched the video you chose and this one is definitely suitable as a beginner in managing money, especially for college students who have just left home and are going to school alone. I think the task you chose was great to have them organize their monthly income on their own using the 50/30/20 method. But I think at the same time there needs to be some inclusive design, for example, for some students who are visually or hearing impaired, it would be good to give them the opportunity to talk to the instructor individually to make sure they have understood what is being said in the video.

3. siyangli1

I found this blog post on budgeting very helpful and informative. The 50/30/20 rule is a simple and practical framework for financial management. I appreciate how blogs break down every step from calculating income to setting financial goals. This must be very useful for beginners in financial management!